Here’s the latest on Oga’s Cantina in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge – plus the all the updates on news, weather, and closings this week at WDW.
There’s a lot to keep track of at WDW, whether you’re going this week or planning a future trip – we have everything you need to know – keep reading!
New at Walt Disney World This Week
Oga’s Cantina will be the happening place for smugglers, er, guests when Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens in 2019. Oga Garra is the manager of this newest tavern-type establishment, which will feature an assortment of entertainment. Characters of all sorts (stormtroopers, aliens, and maybe a familiar face or two) will frequent the cantina. Expect to sample exotic beverages and out-of-this-world fare. You can bet the Disney creativity will come to life in the form of specialty cocktails and a variety of other options. RX-24 (the pilot droid from Star Tours) will be the DJ responsible for your musical amusement. We’ll keep you updated as more information becomes available. But, isn’t this exciting!
There are so many neat things about Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, but one of the coolest has to be the photo opportunities. Disney PhotoPass photographers are scattered throughout Magic Kingdom to offer up some ghoulish Magic Shots. One of the best is the chance to pose with the Headless Horseman! Another has you stirring up poison apples in front of a huge caldron. You can capture the spirit of the night with a few Hitchhiking Ghosts, or even become a floating disembodied head held by the Hatbox Ghost! Magic Shots are the best way to capture spooktacular memories of your visit.
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge is the latest host of an all-new character dining experience. Storybook Dining will arrive at Artist Point this fall, and it will bring Snow White, Dopy, Grumpy, and The Queen! Prior to this announcement you could only encounter the Dwarfs and Queen at special events, so this is a huge addition to character dining experiences! The menu will be prix fixe but hasn’t been released yet.
Guests have spoken, and Disney listened. Although the Magical Express is a great way to get from the airport to your Walt Disney World Resort hotel, many people wanted a quicker, more private way to travel. Now you can reserve a Minnie Van airport shuttle. You have to call 407-WDW-PLAY in advance to schedule your airport van and the service is available 7 AM – 10 PM for arrivals and 9 AM – 12 AM for departures. The vans seat 6 passengers and up to 3 complimentary car seats are available. The cost is $150 per van, one way.
Disney Youth Education Series has added a Behind the Seeds’ Program for students in grades K through 12. Groups of 10 or more can explore Living with the Land and learn about sustainable growing techniques and even how to use them at home. The three-hour program will also cover hydroponic techniques and be highly interactive. More information and registration can be accessed through DisneyYouth.com.
Kilimanjaro Safaris recently welcomed a new baby giraffe to the savanna! Aella was born June 29th but needed some quiet bonding time before joining her herd onstage. She is a Masai giraffe, a breed that is considered threatened and endangered, and was bred to ensure the species continues to live. Although Aella is the smallest giraffe on the savanna, she is still over 5 feet tall! Be sure to check her out next time you are at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
WDW Closings and Refurbishments this Month
- Liberty Square Riverboat is undergoing refurbishment until an undisclosed me.
- Kringla Bakeri og Kafe in the Norway Pavilion is closed for refurbishment. A temporary kiosk has been set up nearby.
- Disney Junior Live on Stage will close September 2 in prepare on for a new show, Disney Junior Dance Party!
- Ferrytale Fireworks: A Sparkling Dessert Cruise will be closed through October 20, 2018.
- World of Disney in Disney Springs is being reimagined. A grand reopening will take place this fall.
- Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort will be under a room refurbishment until some me in 2019.
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort will be undergoing refurbishments until some me in fall 2018. The renovations have closed Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at
Old Port Royale, Cabana Pool Bar, and Calypso Trading Post. Other food options
are available during this me.
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort is in the middle of room refurbishments until Spring 2019.
- The Pepper Market at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort will be closed for refurbishment through summer of 2019. The Quick-Service restaurant will remain open.
- A small part of Stormalong Bay Pool at Disney’s Beach Club Resort will be closed until the fall to make room for new cabanas. The rest of the pool area will remain open during this me.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is currently under construc on at Disney’s Hollywood Studios with an expected opening in late fall 2019.
Don’t forget, closures are subject to change without notice. If you have your heart set on an attraction, be sure to check before you go. Also, check the parks for changes the day of your arrival.
Weather at WDW this Week
Highs of 91°F / Lows of 76°F
Are YOU going to be at WDW this week?
Head over to our Facebook Community and give us your live report!