The 2021 Olaf scavenger hunt has officially begun at this year’s EPCOT Festival of the Holidays—and we’ve found Olaf in every hiding spot. If you want to skip the hard work (before you melt!) and just get your secret prize, read on to learn how to find Olaf.
About Olaf’s Holiday Tradition Expedition 2021
Olaf is back as the face of EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays, and this includes the return of Olaf’s Traditional Holiday Expedition 2021.
The 2021 Olaf scavenger hunt is a fun activity for kids and adults to play during their stroll around World Showcase at the 2021 EPCOT Festival of the Holidays. (Think of it as a healthier version of the Holiday Cookie Stroll … but don’t worry, we’ve got the secrets on that too.)
During this festival scavenger hunt, you will travel around the World Showcase to find Olaf and learn about different holiday traditions from different countries. Wondering what he’s got on his sleigh? We’ll also tell you all about the holiday traditions Olaf is bringing along.
Read on to learn how to play Olaf’s Holiday Tradition Expedition 2021—as well as spoilers on where to locate each Olaf around World Showcase.
How to Play the Olaf Scavenger Hunt
To play the Olaf scavenger hunt, you will need to purchase a scavenger hunt map and stickers for $9.99 (before discounts or tax).
You can find maps at participating locations including Creations, Disney Traders, World Traveler at International Getaway, and Festival Markets throughout the World Showcase.
The stickers are located on the back of the map with corresponding holiday traditions for each item.
Tips for Finding Olaf
Not sure how to find Olaf in this year’s Holiday Tradition Expedition but don’t want to go straight to the spoilers?
- Search high and low for Olaf. He’s got some good hiding spots, and they’re rarely at eye level.
- Hunt during the day since a lot of Olaf’s hiding places are on top of buildings or in bushes.
- You don’t have to complete the hunt all at once or even complete it at all to receive your prize.
- Olaf’s hiding locations were all outdoors last year; however, this year, there is one “indoor” Olaf location, but it can still be spotted from the outside.
Where to Find Olaf
Now that we’ve covered the details, let’s get to the fun part! I started in Mexico, but you can start anywhere you’d like.
*Spoiler Alert! Below are pictures and details of each location!*
Olaf in Mexico
Olaf on a balcony
- Where to Find Olaf: Olaf is hanging out on the window balcony of La Hacienda de San Angel.
- The Holiday Tradition: Poinsettias are a symbol of winter for most of us now, but they are actually native to Central America where it rarely snows. The legend of Pepita says that she gave baby Jesus a poinsettia as a gift.
Olaf in Norway
Olaf on the wall
- Where to Find Olaf: At the start of the festival, Olaf was located next to the Wandering Reindeer shop; however, due to lines of people, he was challenging to find. Not many days into the festival, Cast Members moved Olaf to a wall inside the line where Anna and Else used to meet.
- The Holiday Tradition: Well, that’s the Yule Goat, of course! Made of straw and ribbon, this goat figure comes from ancient Nordic celebrations of Thor. The Yule Goat used to give presents to the nice girls and boys of Norway until Santa took over. Now these goats just have the job of being cute holiday décor.
Olaf in China
Olaf sunbathing in the grass
- Where to Find Olaf: Olaf likes to sunbathe in the grass. Look for him in a grass area across from the Nine Dragons Restaurant.
- The Holiday Tradition: Paper lanterns can be found all over China because that red coloring means good luck. You’ll see these everywhere come Chinese New Year.
Olaf in Germany
Olaf camouflaging with the bears
- Where to Find Olaf: This location may have been the hardest, and I had to ask a Cast Member for help. She gave me the hint that Olaf is hanging out with some bears. I headed to the Der Teddybär gift shop and spotted Olaf in the window!
- The Holiday Tradition: It’s candy canes! Pulled sugars originated in Germany and gave birth to the minty-fresh candy cane we know and love today.
Olaf in Italy
Olaf on top of La Gelateria Toscana
- Where to Find Olaf: I searched high and low of the Italy Pavilion looking for Olaf. Turns out, he’s craving some gelato because he can be found on top of the new La Gelateria Toscana building.
- The Holiday Tradition: That’s not a muffin … it’s a panettone! This sweet bread is baked around Christmastime each year in kitchens all over Italy.
Olaf at the America Gardens Theatre
Olaf on top of the sign
- Where to Find Olaf: Olaf is ready to enjoy some Candlelight Processional because he can be found on top of the America Gardens Theatre sign located on the Italy side of the theatre.
- The Holiday Tradition: It’s Jingle Bells! A good round of Jingle Bells always gets us into the spirit. I think Olaf is looking for a sing-a-long …
Olaf in the American Adventure
Olaf in the Christmas tree
- Where to Find Olaf: Head toward the big Christmas tree in the America Pavilion, and you’ll spot Olaf hanging out at the bottom of the tree.
- The Holiday Tradition: His Kwanzaa kinara (which means candle holder) is ready to light! The seven candles are lit each on a different day, starting with the black candle. They each represent a principle of Kwanzaa.
Olaf in Japan
Olaf in the bushes
- Where to Find Olaf: You don’t even have to walk into the Japan Pavilion to find Olaf. He is sitting in the bushes on the right side of the red Itsukushima Shrine.
- The Holiday Tradition: Wondering what that cake is? He’s got kagami mochi, a traditional New Year decoration in Japan. This is two mochi rice cakes with a bitter orange (called a daidai) on top.
Olaf in Morocco
Olaf atop Oasis Sweets and Sips
- Where to Find Olaf: Another location where you don’t have to walk into the pavilion. Head to Oasis Sweets and Sips, and you’ll find Olaf on top of the building.
- The Holiday Tradition: Olives are a big part of Moroccan culture. Aside from being delectable holiday treats, their leaves make beautiful mantle decorations.
Olaf at L’Chaim! Holiday Kitchen
Olaf at the food booth
- Where to Find Olaf: Olaf is sitting on the right side of the L’Chaim! festival food booth.
- The Holiday Tradition: He’s got a few dreidels to spin with you. Have you ever played the dreidel game?
Olaf in France
Olaf in the maze
- Where to Find Olaf: Similar to my kids, Olaf enjoys running around a maze.
- The Holiday Tradition: Looks like he’s bringing Yule logs for the fire! In France, the whole family cuts down the Yule log together and brings it home to burn a bit each night during the 12 days of Christmas.
Olaf in the United Kingdom
Olaf in the grass
- Where to Find Olaf: Enter the garden courtyard of the United Kingdom Pavilion, and you’ll see Olaf in the grassy area.
- The Holiday Tradition: He’s got a few party poppers to liven up the season. These are usually filled with little treats and a tissue paper crown.
Olaf in Canada
Olaf in the Victoria Gardens
- Where to Find Olaf: Head toward Le Cellier Steakhouse to find Olaf in the grass of the Victoria Gardens.
- The Holiday Tradition: We gotta love that he brought enough gingerbread for everyone. That’s a tradition we can get behind!
Olaf Scavenger Hunt Prize
Once you’ve completed the hunt, take your game card to one of the following locations:
- Disney Traders
- World Traveler
A Cast Member informed me that the real prize for his hunt has not arrived so in the meantime, guests can choose from two different lanyard pouches along with a lanyard.
Check back in for details on the actual prize when it arrives.
You have until the end of the festival (Dec. 30) to find Olaf and redeem your price. Good luck!