Here’s the latest on the new dessert party at Magic Kingdom – plus the all the updates on news, weather, refurbishments and closings this week at Walt Disney World.
There’s a lot to keep track of at WDW, whether you’re going this week or planning a future trip – we have everything you need to know – keep reading!
New at Walt Disney World This Week
Magic Kingdom is adding a great new opportunity to the Fireworks Dessert Party! Starting May 28th, there will be an additional option of adding the popular dessert party AFTER the fireworks! The After Fireworks Dessert Party has you experiencing Happily Ever After first, then going to Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant for the fabulous all-you-can-eat spread of tempting desserts. There’s even a selection of cheeses, spinach dip, along with apple juice, coffee, tea, and milk. Now the only decision that remains is, do you want dessert before or AFTER your fireworks?
Wine Bar George is now open! Located in Disney Springs, there are a lot of great things about this new venue. First, the bar’s namesake, and person in charge of the opening, is Master Sommelier (wine expert) George Miliotes. George knows his wine and has selected more than 130 wines to feature on the menu. The best part about a master sommelier is, he knows how to pair food with wine, so you can expect an incredible menu to accompany the available wines. The menu contains small plates such as hummus, spiced olives, crispy mac & cheese bites, chicken skewers, a charcuterie board, and more. If you are looking for something a little on the sweet side, you might want to try The Chocolate Experience. For $22, you can enjoy a pairing demonstration of three wines and three chocolates. Wine is offered by the ounce, glass, and bottle at Wine Bar George. There’s plenty of selection for every taste and budget. If you’re really looking to splurge, a 6oz glass of Chateau Margaux will set you back $500. No, that isn’t a misprint! But don’t worry, even though there are some expensive wines on the list, there are plenty of reasonably priced offerings. If you aren’t a big wine fan, or are travelling with someone who isn’t, don’t worry. There are a variety of cocktails as well as beer and cider.
Great news for fans of Disney PhotoPass, there are new Magic Shots available at Walt Disney World. The first is in front of the Casting Agency door on Main Street, U.S.A. in Magic Kingdom. You may have to grab a photographer hanging out nearby for this one as someone is not going to be stationed right in front of the door. The next Magic Shot is near Dumbo the Flying Elephant where you can magically spot Dumbo “flying” over his own attraction! Near Mad Tea Party, see if you can grab a picture of Cheshire Cat as he “magically” appears in a tree. Then head over to Disney’s Animal Kingdom and get a fun Magic Shot that looks like a page from a scrapbook at Maharajah Jungle Trek. Near UP! A Great Bird Adventure you just might be able to capture a photo with the elusive Kevin from UP! That’s not all! Walt Disney World PhotoPass photographers can take many other Magic Shots. Be sure to ask them for a Magic Shot after your “regular” picture and see what kind of image magically appears!
Star Wars: Galactic Nights is only 6 short days away! To increase excitement, Disney recently released the panel of Walt Disney Imagineering team members that will be providing updates on the upcoming Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land opening at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. In attendance expect to see Portfolio Creative Executive, Scott Trowbridge, Creative Director Eric Baker, and Managing Story Editor, Margaret Kerrison. The official Galactic Nights event host is none other than Warwick Davis. There is going to be a lot of entertainment, information, event-exclusive merchandise, and surprises. Tickets may still be available if you are interested, but time is definitely running out.
Next time you are in Magic Kingdom, be sure to mosey on over to The Diamond Horseshoe and take a gander at their new menu. Starting May 23rd, you can chow down on a Carved Beef Brisket Sandwich, BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich with mac and cheese, and even a Mixed Green Salad if you want a lighter (or healthier) option. There is an abundance of delicious sides including corn on the cob and BBQ Baked Beans. Yeehaw! But wait, there’s more! Make sure the cowpokes in your group get their hands on the Peaches and Cream Cheesecake or Blueberry Cobbler to really make it the best meal!
WDW Closings and Refurbishments in May
- Liberty Square Riverboat is undergoing refurbishment until an undisclosed time.
- Kringla Bakeri og Kafe in the Norway Pavilion is closed for refurbishment. A temporary kiosk has been set up nearby.
- World of Disney in Disney Springs is being reimagined. Parts will be closed in phases, but most will remain open during construction.
- Portobello Country Italian Trattoria in Disney Springs remains closed until spring of 2018, when it will reopen as Terralina Crafted Italian.
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort will be undergoing refurbishments until sometime in 2019. The renovations will close Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at Old Port Royale, Cabana Pool Bar and Calypso Trading Post. Other food options will be available during this time.
- Old Key West is in the middle of room refurbishments until Spring 2019. Also, the Turtle Pond Pool, Turtle Shack Snack Bar, and Flying Fish Gameroom will be closed until July 31st.
- Duck Pond Pool at All Star Movies will be under refurbishment until sometime this spring.
- Bowling Pin Pool at Disney’s Pop Century will be closed through May.
- Toy Story Land is currently under construction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios with an opening of June 30, 2018.
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is currently under construction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios with an expected opening in 2019.
Don’t forget, closures are subject to change without notice. If you have your heart set on an attraction, be sure to check before you go. Also, check the parks for changes the day of your arrival.
Weather at WDW this week
Highs of 88°F / Lows of 71°F
Are YOU going to be at WDW this week?
Head over to our Facebook Community and give us your live report!