(Anaheim) California dreaming? If you’re planning a trip to The Happiest Place on Earth for the holidays, check out our guide to Disneyland weather in December.
Planning for the weather (especially when you’ve paid a pretty penny for those park tickets) is always a worthwhile endeavor. You don’t want to get caught off guard if your plans to soak up the sun get rained out.
You may be wondering … How warm is Southern California in December? And what about rain? Let us shed some (sun)light on those burning weather questions and tell you how you can use a rainy day at Disneyland to your advantage.
What’s the Average Daily Temperature in December?
If you’re from out of town, you can expect comfortable Disneyland weather in December. However, locals and weather data will tell you that it’s actually the coldest month in Anaheim, California.
- Average High Temperature: 64°F
- Average Low Temperature: 50.9°F
When Is Rainy Season at Disneyland?
Southern California experiences quite a bit of rain during the month of December. The rainy season in Anaheim runs from October through April.
- Average Rainfall: 1.54 inches
What to Do When It Rains at Disneyland
Just like at Disney World, there are plenty of things to do when it rains at Disneyland. As long as you’re willing to be flexible, there’s still lots of fun to be had at The Happiest Place On Earth!
- Ride indoors. Indoor attractions continue to operate when it’s raining out. And that’s good news for you! When other guests are headed back to their hotels and locals are calling it quits, you’ll enjoy shorter wait times at many of the park’s most popular attractions like Space Mountain or Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
- Since it’s the holiday season, you won’t miss these festive indoor attractions: “it’s a small world” Holiday and Haunted Mansion Holiday.
- Catch the cavalcade. You may have heard about the Rainy Day Cavalcade at Magic Kingdom. Well, there’s one at Disneyland too!
- Watch World of Color. While other fireworks shows will be canceled on a rainy night, there’s one show that must (and can) go on! That’s the dazzling aquatic spectacular, World of Color. And since December falls during the holiday season, you can catch the Christmas-themed variation, World of Color – Season of Light.
- Go shopping. Might as well take advantage of the downtime and check out the shops for some holiday shopping. Your first stop should be the Plaza Point Holiday Shoppe.
- Grab a meal. Remember what we said about people leaving the park early? That means that they won’t be using their dining reservations. You just might be able to scoop up those last-minute dining reservations that’ll become available in the Disneyland app. Their loss is your gain!
What to Pack for the Rain at Disneyland
If the weather forecast calls for rain, don’t forget to pack the following rainy day at Disneyland essentials in your park bag:
- Extra water-resistant shoes and socks
- Rain poncho (like this one from PonchEar that protects your Mickey ears)
- Quick-drying clothing and comfortable, warm clothing
- A hat or umbrella
- Dry bag
Planning Around Disneyland Weather in December
The temperatures may be cooler and there’s a greater chance of rain, but Disneyland in December is no less magical. Hello, it’s the holiday season, after all!
Something else that can make those cooler, rainy days at Disneyland a little more bearable? Knowing that you got a great deal on your ticket or hotel. Check out our list of the latest Disneyland discounts and deals.