If you’re wondering which Disney Halloween party offers the most fun, the best value, or the coolest overall experience, here’s your guide.
Walt Disney World has a beloved Halloween party – but so does Disneyland Resort. Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Oogie Boogie Bash are Disney’s less scary versions of traditional Halloween events, with trick-or-treat opportunities, plenty of character encounters, and some special seasonal fun found throughout Magic Kingdom Park and California Adventure Park. While the two Disney Halloween parties might seem pretty similar at first glance, they’re actually quite different. So, which one should you attend if you’re a big fan of the spooky season at Disney?
Below, we’re breaking down the differences between Magic Kingdom’s Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and California Adventure’s Oogie Boogie Bash.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is Disney World’s annual Halloween event. The after-hours party takes place at Magic Kingdom and requires a separate ticket for entry. As part of the party, guests can dress up, go trick-or-treating, find party-exclusive treats, and enjoy themed attractions and entertainment.
Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party first debuted in 1995 as a one-night event but has grown substantially since. Now, the party takes place on select nights from mid-August all the way through early November. So, what do you get with the cost of your ticket for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party? Here’s a look at everything that’s included.
Guests who attend Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party will get to experience:
- Early theme park admission: Enter Magic Kingdom up to three hours before the party begins (no reservation required!)
- Trick-or-Treating: Fill a bag full of candy at designated treat locations throughout the park.
- Exclusive Entertainment: Enjoy party-exclusive entertainment including the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular, Disney’s Not-So-Spooky Spectacular fireworks, Mickey’s Boo-to-You Halloween Parade, and dance parties.
- Character Experiences: You’ll have the opportunity to get pictures with your favorite characters dressed up in their Halloween costumes!
- Magic Shots: Enjoy special Magic Shots and photo opportunities exclusive to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.
Additionally, Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party includes exclusive treats and merchandise, as well as the ability to enjoy attractions with potentially lower wait times.
The Best Experiences at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
With the price of your ticket, you have the chance to experience up to eight hours of fun in the park both before and after it closes to regular guests. But, it’s some of the party-exclusive additions that make Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party so enjoyable.
The following are the best experiences of the party:
- Trick-or-Treating: Experience trick-or-treating at the Most Magical Place on Earth! There are specific treat locations around the park to go trick-or-treating, including allergy-friendly spots.
- Low Wait Times: Magic Kingdom is the most popular Disney World park, which means it can also have some of the longest wait times for rides. The lower capacity for the event means you have the chance to get on some of the most popular Disney rides (including TRON Lightcycle / Run!) with lower-than-normal wait times.
- Exclusive Entertainment Options: At the event you can take in the Hocus Pocus Villain Spelltacular! with the Sanderson Sisters and other Disney villains. Other event-exclusive entertainment includes Disney’s Not-So-Spooky Spectacular fireworks, and Mickey’s Boo-to-You Halloween Parade which includes tons of Disney characters.
- Costumes for Guests: While kids are able to wear costumes at any time throughout the year, the rules are different for adults – until this event! Guests of all ages can wear costumes during the party, making it an incredibly immersive and fun experience for everyone.
Oogie Boogie Bash
Oogie Boogie Bash is Disneyland Resort’s version of Walt Disney World’s long-running Halloween party. Since it first began in 2019, it’s been bringing plenty of frights to Disney California Adventure Park each fall – and it’s significantly spookier than the previous Mickey’s Halloween Party at Disneyland.
Oogie Boogie Bash is one of the most popular events of the year at Disneyland Resort, with tickets selling out fast year after year. So, what’s in store for the price of your ticket? Here’s a look at what the party includes.
Guests who attend Oogie Boogie Bash will get to experience:
- Early theme park admission: Enter California Adventure 3 hours before the party begins (no reservation required!)
- Villains Grove: A haunting walkthrough attraction that transforms Redwood Creek Challenge Trail into a villains’ haven.
- Immersive Treat Trails: Trick-or-treat trails located throughout California Adventure that include special character appearances (and plenty of candy!)
- Exclusive entertainment: During the party, you can check out the Frightfully Fun Parade and Mickey’s Trick and Treat, two shows you can only catch during Oogie Boogie Bash.
- Character experiences: Take the rare chance to see your favorite Disney characters in their Halloween costumes, spot lesser-seen characters throughout the park, and find villains waiting for meet-and-greets.
- Unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads: You’ll be able to download all of your photos taken between 6:00 and 11:00 PM included with your Oogie Boogie Bash ticket.
In addition to these events and experiences, you’ll also have a chance to try special Halloween-themed treats and menu items, check out exclusive and spooky party decor, and ride attractions more easily with the limited Guest capacity just for the party.
The Best Experiences at Oogie Boogie Bash
There’s a ton to explore at Oogie Boogie Bash, and you’ll have five hours to cover everything. However, some of the exclusive Halloween experiences are more worthwhile than others, particularly if you’re looking for special overlays, attractions, and activities you can’t find anywhere else.
The following are the best experiences of the party:
- Immersive Treat Trails: You can’t trick-or-treat in California Adventure any other time of the year! But what really makes the treat trails special is each one features a villain – and these villain appearances are grand, with music, spooky theming, and characters who talk to Guests as they move through the trails.
- Frightfully Fun Parade: Anyone who’s a fan of Disney parades will love this Halloween one, featuring characters who don’t appear in either California theme park outside of Oogie Boogie Bash. You’ll spot the Headless Horseman, the grim grinning ghosts of the Haunted Mansion, and a whole gaggle of villains that changes from year to year.
- Villains Grove: For many Oogie Boogie Bash attendees, Villains Grove is one of the can’t-miss attractions. There’s nothing quite like it anywhere else at a Disney theme park, and it’s filled with sights, sounds, and unique theming that celebrates some of the most popular villains from classic Disney movies.
- Costumes for all Guests: While kids can don costumes throughout the year, adults can join in on the fun during Oogie Boogie Bash – and many people go all out! From Disney bounds to elaborate costumes themed after Disney characters, Guests of all ages get seriously dressed up for the event. There are typically more adults in costume than not in costume, so you’re going to want to join the fun and wear a costume if you’re attending (and admiring others’ custom costumes is also part of the excitement!)
- Low attraction wait times: Thanks to the reduced capacity of each party date, Oogie Boogie Bash is a great time to ride your favorite attractions. You’ll have a far shorter wait for many popular picks, including Radiator Springs Racers and the Incredicoaster.
For more information on how to make the most out of your Oogie Boogie Bash experience, check out our tips here.
Comparing Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Oogie Boogie Bash
Does Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party or Oogie Boogie Bash Offer the Best Value?
Ultimately, the value is going to depend on what you’re looking to get out of your Halloween event! The cost for Oogie Boogie tickets ranges from $134 to $189, while Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party has a wider range from $109 to $199.
Oogie Boogie takes place from 6 PM to 11 PM, giving guests access into the park starting at 3 PM. That’s the same amount of time you’ll get at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party, which takes place from 7 PM to 12 AM and gives you access starting at 4 PM.
On cost and time access, you’ll find the events are pretty comparable. However, one of the major draws for both parties is the access to characters, and for that we’d give a slight edge to Oogie Boogie which often features more unique characters that you won’t be able to find anywhere else.
Which Disney Halloween Party is Best for Kids?
For kids, we’d give a slight edge to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. Both events have great entertainment and options for kids, but Magic Kingdom offers a variety of rides without height requirements that younger kids will be able to enjoy with the lower wait times that come with less Guests.
However, with trick-or-treating, characters, and costumes, your kids will likely enjoy either event quite a bit!
Which Disney Halloween Party is Best for Adults?
While we’re giving a slight edge to Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party for kids, we have to give the edge for Oogie Boogie to adults.
While kids may not appreciate the unique characters quite as much, adults who love Disney certainly will. Villains Grove is a truly special and immersive experience that sets Oogie Boogie apart, and features some of the most popular Disney villains that you may not have the chance to meet outside of the party.