On March 17, Disney announced that Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure will be opening it’s doors to California residents on April 30, 2021.
It’s hard to believe that the happiest place on earth has been closed for over a year due to the ongoing pandemic, but that’s hopefully going to change at the end of April!
The two theme parks located in Anaheim, California are getting ready to open their gates once again to the public. Of course, there will be many changes to expect, including health and safety measures, along with updated operating procedures.
Here’s everything you need to know!
Disneyland Opening in 2021
As of publication, these are the most important updates you need to know prior to visiting Disneyland at it reopens:
- Upon reopening, only California residents may visit the parks in line with current state guidelines.
- Just like Walt Disney World’s (WDW) park reservation system, Disneyland will also have its own theme park reservation system. This means guests ages 3 and up are required to have both valid theme park admission and a park reservation to enter.
- There will be socially-distanced character interactions.
- Parades and nighttime spectaculars will return at a later date.
- The official Disneyland hotels will open in phases, with Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa planning to reopen on April 29.
- Disney Vacation Club Villas at Grand Californian plan to reopen May 2.
- Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and the Disneyland Hotel will reopen at a later date.
- The new Avengers Campus in Disney California Adventure will open at a later date.
- There will also be “new magic” coming to the Haunted Mansion (it’s unclear what this means) and guests will also get to experience newly reimagined Snow White’s Enchanted Wish.
- Finally, FastPass, Disney MaxPass, Magic Morning, and Extra Magic Hours will be suspended for the time being.
Thanks to readers like you, we’re able to bring you news without bombarding you with annoying ads. Please consider supporting us directly by subscribing to our print edition, and make sure to sign up for our FREE newsletter so you never miss out on the latest at Disney World!
On the Disney Parks Blog, Disney also said, “In the days leading up to the public opening on April 30, Disneyland Resort will invite cast members and members of the local community to be the first theme park guests after more than a year of closure.”
That is a magical and wonderful grand gesture!
Also note that the A Touch of Disney limited-ticketed experience is currently sold out, but will continue from March 18 through April 19.
Capacity When Disneyland Reopens
Now, just like with WDW, capacity will be enforced across Disneyland.
As stated by California state guidelines, amusement parks can reopen beginning April 1 with 15% capacity in the red tier, 25% capacity in the orange tier, and 35% capacity in the yellow tier.
On Sunday, March 14, Orange County (Disneyland’s county) returned to the red tier.
Capacity also affects attractions. First, indoor rides and attractions must maintain a 15% capacity in the red tier and 25% capacity in the orange and yellow tiers. As for outdoor rides and attractions, they can accommodate more riders provided social distancing mandates are followed.
In a March 17 interview with CNBC, Disney CEO Bob Chapek revealed that Disneyland and Disney California Adventure will reopen with a 15% operating capacity.
We will keep you updated as more news is announced regarding Disneyland’s highly-anticipated reopening!
Are you excited for Disneyland to be opening back up on April 30th, 2021? Tell us in the comments on our Facebook page!