This weekend, Disney hosted a D23 expo in Japan! A lot of BIG Disney News was revealed for parks around the world, including Walt Disney World!
You might remember our coverage of D23 events in California on 2015 and 2017, and we are super excited to have more magical news from Disney to report today! Keep reading, you won’t want to miss this!
BIG Disney News for WDW
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (Feb. 11, 2018) – During D23 Expo Japan 2018, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek revealed new details about major expansion in progress across Walt Disney World Resort leading up to the 50th Anniversary. Let’s take a look at what’s in store for guests:
Toy Story Land
The fun will soar to infinity and beyond beginning this summer with the opening of Toy Story Land. This playful new 11-acre land will transport guests into the adventurous outdoors of Andy’s backyard where guests will feel like they have been shrunk to the size of Woody and Buzz, as they are surrounded by oversized toys. Using toys like building blocks, plastic buckets and shovels, and game board pieces, Andy has designed the perfect setting for this land that includes two major new attractions.
Slinky Dog Dash is a family-friendly coaster that will send riders dipping, dodging and dashing around turns and drops through the world of Andy’s toys. Guests can also spin around with little green aliens aboard Alien Swirling Saucers and quick refreshments will be on tap at Woody’s Lunch Box.
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
This highly anticipated new land is set to open in 2019, both at Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disneyland Park – on a grand scale – including the creation of a full-sized fleet of X-wing star fighters and a life-size Millennium Falcon starship.
The totally immersive land will include two jaw-dropping attractions that allow guests to have control of their experiences. One attraction will put guests in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance—inside a Star Destroyer. In the second attraction, guests will have the chance to fly the Millennium Falcon – the most famous ship in the galaxy. Throughout the land, guests will also have the chance to interact with Chewie, the lovable BB8 and members of the First Order, plus wander through a toy shop in the street market run by a Toydarian, one of the creatures from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.
Immersive Star Wars-Themed Hotel
Fans can live out their Star Wars adventures beyond the theme parks with an immersive
experience at a groundbreaking new Star Wars–themed hotel concept. The epic new experience will take guests to a galaxy far, far away and will be seamlessly connected to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the new land set to open in 2019 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Unlike anything that exists today, the new luxury resort will completely immerse guests in an authentic Star Wars story. The journey through space begins the moment guests arrive, as everyone boards a starship and departs together for a multi-day Star Warsadventure. An opening date for the new hotel has not been announced.
Guardians of the Galaxy Attraction at Epcot
Larger-than-life Super Heroes will descend upon Epcot with the opening of a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction. Based on the rockin’, action-packed “Guardians of the Galaxy” movies, this one-of-a-kind family attraction will feature a brand-new, innovative ride system – and will be one of the longest enclosed roller coasters in the world! Coming to Epcot Future World, the new attraction will open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021.
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
The first ever ride-through attraction themed to Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will delight guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios beginning in 2019. Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway will feature a new original story and lovable theme song, as it takes guests on a journey inside the wacky and unpredictable world of Disney Channel’s Emmy Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts. New technologies will transform the two-dimensional cartoon world into an incredible multi-dimensional experience.
A New Family-friendly Show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Just in time for the 20th Anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, a new, family-friendly show will debut at the theme park April 22. Featuring Russell and Dug from Disney•Pixar’s “Up,” guests will get a chance to see their favorite Senior Wilderness Explorer and his furry friend as they discover bird species from around the world.
As we head towards 2021 and the big 50th anniversary celebrations, WDW Magazine is featuring a monthly update of ongoing projects, new additions, and more! Be sure to subscribe today so you don’t miss a beat!BUY NOW!
BIG Disney News for Disney Parks Around the World
Here’s the scoop on parks around the world – be sure to check out our Around the World section every month in WDW Magazine for the latest on these global destinations!
Disneyland Resort: Anaheim, California
- Paradise Pier is being re-imagined and will re-open June 23 as Pixar Pier, featuring the Incredicoaster
- In honor of Pixar’s 20th anniversary, Pixar Fest will being April 13 at Disneyland Resort, featuring a new Disneyland fireworks show called Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular, Pixar Play Parade at Disneyland Park, a new Incredibles themed float in Paint the Night parade, a Pixar Shorts Film Festival at Disney California Adventure, and more!
Disneyland Paris Resort: France
- Walt Disney Studios park will re-imaging Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster to be a high-speed adventure with the Avengers
- Disney’s Hotel New York will begin featuring the Art of Marvel in 2020
- Marvel Summer of Super Heroes will let guests come face to face with their favorite heros
Tokyo Disneyland Resort: Japan
- A new Big Hero 6 attraction is coming to Tomorrowland
- A new Beauty and the Beast themed ares is coming to Fantasyland
- A new full-scale live entertainment theatre is coming to Toyko Disneyland
- Soarin’ s coming to Toyko DisneySea
- A new design studio featuring a Minnie Mouse meet and greet is coming to Tokyo Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland: China
- Building on the success of the Iron an Experience attraction, a new adventure featuring Ant Man and The Wasp along with an entire Marvel-themed area will be coming to Hong Kong.
Shanghai Disney Resort: China
- Disney•Pixar Toy Story Land is opening in April
Adventures by Disney
- A new adventure is coming in 2019 that will take guests to Japan – exploring Kyoto, Tokyo and more!