When Star Wars Land was announced at the 2015 D23 Expo in Anaheim, I’m pretty sure I heard the world take a collective gasp. On April 3, 2017 many locations on or near the Streets of America at Hollywood Studios, including Lights, Motors, Action, closed permanently to make way for construction to begin on this new area.
Here’s what we already know that they have planned to bring to the new 14-acre land coming to the Studios.
- Bob Iger said guests will be “transported” to a new Star Wars planet.
- There will be an “epic Star Wars adventure” featuring the First Order and the Resistance.
- You will be able to pilot the Millennium Falcon.
- A marketplace, and several dining establishments are planned.
- Guests will earn a “reputation” (likely tied to Magic Band technology) and their decisions in the land and on attractions will influence their experience and interactions.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios has already started infusing Star Wars themes throughout the park. Currently they have meet and greets with Chewbacca, BB-8 and Kylo Ren, Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular, Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away, Star Wars Launch Bay, March of the First Order, Star Wars: Path of the Jedi, and a revamped edition of Jedi Training Academy; Trials of the Temple.
There is a ton of potential for this new area, and rumors are swirling all the time about what might be coming to the new land at DHS, here are 7 things we’d love to see in Star Wars Land.
- Speeder Bike Adventure: Hop on a Speeder Bike and fly through Endor on a high-speed chase through the forest. This indoor coaster should not have the intensity of Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, but won’t be as tame as Peter Pan’s Flight – using the same tech as TRON Lightcycle Power Run at Shanghai Disney Resort.
- Padawan’s Flight: Young Jedi can board a small aircraft (Speeder Bike, A-Wing Fighter, Delta-7 Jedi Starfighter, X-34 Landspeeder) on a Dumbo-type spinner ride. They might not be big enough for the Speeder Bike Adventure, but they can still have fun!
- Jar Jar Bink’s Meet and Greet: Ok, just kidding about the Jar Jar meet and greet, but how cool would it be to hang out with a bunch of Star Wars characters? I’m sure the Star Wars Launch Bay will still exist in the new Star Wars Land. However, it would be great if this were a “mingling” area instead of something you wait in line for. The almost private experience of meeting Chewbacca and Kylo Ren is neat, and maybe that can still be incorporated, but I really had the most fun hanging with Jawas and Storm Troopers in an open, spontaneous area. Add in a bunch of characters (that change without notice) and you have a fun character interaction that is never the same twice.
- Star Wars: Starring YOU!: When MGM Studios originally opened, there was an attraction called “SuperStar Television” where selected guests got to appear as a character in a classic television show using blue screen technology. It was a blast! Keeping with the STUDIOS aspect of Hollywood Studios, it would be nice to have a Star Wars related audience participation attraction. Since the kids can participate in Jedi Training, let’s give the adults something fun to participate in too!
- Storm Trooper Blasters: Think Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin with a little more “umph”. Instead of just going from room to room there is a storyline that you follow as you rack up points. With the popularity of Toy Story Midway Mania, it would be nice to spread out this kind of interactive attraction. An alternate attraction would be a laser tag type adventure. Not sure how to push through a large number of guests on that, but it would be a blast!
- Jabba’s Hut: Some of the cool aspects of Star Wars Weekends should definitely be included in the new land. Let’s hope they bring back the D-Tech Me experiences such as “cast yourself in Carbonite” and “your face on a figure” such as Storm Trooper, Jedi Knight, or Tie-Fighter Pilot. There was also a ton of park exclusive merchandise and that was great too. In addition, there needs to be a larger area for creating light sabers and droids because Tatooine Traders is always packed. I’ve created a new name for this merchandise location, but the original Darth’s Mall, something like the shuttered Watto’s Grotto, or the ever popular Tatooine Traders would be good too.
- Mos Eisley Cantina Bar and Grill: Picture this, you’re in a cool tavern in a galaxy far, far, away sipping on galactic concoctions while listening to some groovy tunes. The waiters and waitresses would completely dress the part. Be sure to leave your droids outside and don’t forget your lightsaber, you never know who you might meet. This one looks like it’s coming, but we don’t have any concrete details yet!
I’m sure no matter what surprises are in store for this epic creation, Star Wars Land is going to be out of this world! What kind of attraction would YOU add? Head over to Facebook and let us know!
For more on Disney’s Hollywood Studios, check out our April 2016 issue!