2017 is going to be a BIG year for Disney. Expect major shakeups in all the parks, at Disney Springs, and beyond! You never know what those Imagineers have up their sleeves, but here’s what we’re looking forward to in 2017!
I never need a reason to visit Walt Disney World. I’m a big Disney fan and will create any excuse under the sun just to go. In case you are trying to convince your spouse, mother, sister, brother, or yourself that you really need to go on a trip to Walt Disney World next year, here are 17 reasons to visit in 2017.
- Pandora- The World of AVATAR is scheduled to open in the spring of 2017 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Floating mountains and glowing forests will bring the world of AVATAR to life for total guest immersion.
- The Flight of Passage is schedule to open in the spring of 2017 as part of Pandora. This attraction will allow you to fly over Pandora in a unique experience. It is explained to be a projection type ride (maybe similar to Soarin’).
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom’s Pandora- World of AVATAR will also be home to what is described by Imagineer Joe Rhode as an “emotional, romantic journey into the bioluminescence forest.” The Na’Vi River Journey will be a water ride unlike any other water ride you’ve experienced.
- Rivers of Light, a spectacular water show, is expected to debut at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at the end of 2016, but without an exact date, it might be closer to 2017. Actually, I wrote an article similar to this in 2016 for Dad’s Guide to WDW and Rivers of Light was also in that article as something to see in 2016. Sometimes things don’t go according to plan so here we are again hoping to experience this in 2017!
- You should visit in 2017 because it’s only going to get more expensive. Even with discounts that seem to happen at certain times each year, prices will only increase as time goes on. If you go in 2017 it will be cheaper than if you wait for 2018 or beyond!
- Miss Fortune Falls is scheduled to open at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon in late spring of 2017. The newest family raft ride will be the longest to be featured at a Disney Water park.
- A replacement for the Main Street Electrical Parade is expected to debut in 2017. While there hasn’t been an official announcement, it seems likely that after the Christmas Parade closes for the season, something will be moving in to take its place.
- A brand-new event is coming to Epcot in January. The Epcot International Festival of the Arts will feature Broadway performers, incredible artists, and amazing food. This weekend event will run from January 13th until February 20th. There is no better time to escape to Florida.
- The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival keeps getting bigger and better every year. This year they are adding new topiaries and two new outdoor kitchens. The Festival, from March 1st until May 29th, is beautiful and not to be missed!
- The Epcot International Food & Wine Festival has expanded. In 2017 you will be able to visit starting on August 31st through November 13th. There’s no better time than now to taste all the savory dishes available at this popular Festival.
- Special occasions don’t happen all of the time, and when they do, you want to celebrate them in a way you will never forget. Whether it is a birthday milestone, graduation, anniversary, or a goal you have met such as weight loss, beating cancer, or getting your black belt in karate- there is no better place to celebrate than at Disney World.
- There are great annual events such as Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. Both parties offer meet and greets with rare characters (The Christmas Party has been known to have all seven dwarfs at once!) and specialty merchandise and desserts. If you haven’t taken part in one of these exciting special events, you might want to go in 2017.
- You never know when your favorite attraction might go bye-bye. Stitch’s Great Escape and Ellen’s Energy Adventure are rumored to be on the chopping block. Plus, it’s no secret they are making room for Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. While there hasn’t been an official announcement, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Voyage of The Little Mermaid and Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream disappear in order to make room for more Pixar theming.
- Disney Springs welcomes its first wine bar with Wine Bar George in 2017. The menu consists of small plates (think- appetizers) and more than 100 selections of wine. This would make a great place to visit to celebrate a special occasion or even pop the question!
- Old will become new again! Two restaurants in Disney Springs are currently under the process of being re-imagined. Planet Hollywood is set to become The Planet Hollywood Observatory in January. Guy Fieri is in charge of the revamped menu. The restaurant will still feature movie memorabilia. Also, the long-awaited Paddlefish is scheduled to open where Fulton’s Crab House used to reside. The menu still contains seafood but with a fresh twist. They have even added a new rooftop lounge with amazing views.
- Disney Springs will welcome The Edison, a new restaurant. The Edison will be set in a 1920’s era power plant. Live musical acts and American cuisine will be featured.
- You need to go in 2017 because of the magical feeling you get from being at Disney World. Anyone who has ever visited knows the feeling when you walk through the gates and see Cinderella Castle for the first or fiftieth time. It’s the feeling of pure happiness. Your body will thank you.
With 17 reasons to visit Walt Disney World in 2017, do you really need any more? Disney is constantly adding and revamping and this is only the tip of what 2017 will bring. What reason do you have for visiting? With all of the new restaurants in Disney Springs, you may need more than a week to visit them all!
Contact our friends at Destinations to Travel and let them help you begin planning the vacation of a lifetime in 2017 for your family today!